Home > Houston Tax Attorney: Tax Relief Blog > Late Tax Returns > 10 Common Complaints About Tax Return Preparers

October 13, 2016

10 Common Complaints About Tax Return Preparers

Late Tax Returns

Houston Tax Attorney


Here are ten of the common complaints that are filed with the IRS about tax return preparers:

  1. Claims false exemptions or dependents or claims false expenses, deductions, or credits on your tax return.
  2. Files a tax return that does not match the the copy provided to you.
  3. Fails to file your tax returns.
  4. Fails to provide you with a copy of a tax return or return your original records to you.
  5. Diverts your tax refund into an unknown bank account.
  6. Cashes your tax refund check.
  7. Fails to explain the terms of tax refund anticipation loan to you.
  8. Misrepresents his or her credentials or qualifications.
  9. Commits identity theft.
  10. Discloses your Personally Identifiable Information without your consent.

How to File a Complaint With the IRS

To file a complaint, you typically have to submit a Form 14157, Complaint: Tax Return Preparer.

If a tax return preparer filed a return or altered your return without your consent and you are seeking a change to your account, you have to complete the Form 14157 and the Form 14157-A, Tax Return Preparer Fraud or Misconduct Affidavit.

If the complaint relates to identity theft, you need to file a Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit.

To report alleged tax law violations by an individual, a business, or both, you need to submit a Form 3949-A, Informal Referral.  Alternatively, you may be able to file a Whistleblower claim if you have original information about tax law violations and meet certain guidelines. Whistleblower claims may entitle you to monetary awards based on the amount of additional tax collected. You can submit a Whistleblower claim by filing a Form 211, Application for Award for Original Information.

We help with tax problems, including whistleblower claims. Call today to see how we can help you.

What Are You Waiting For?
Previous post:
Next post:

Comments are closed.

Living with a tax debt or unfiled returns?

Life is too short. It's time to fix it.

Call today!  (713) 909-4906